Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Underestimations (Day 25) (271 miles walked)

I underestimated how difficult it would be to update this blog from the trail. Sorry. I haven't posted as often as I thought I would.

I underestimated how difficult it would be to play online poker while hiking. (So far, Ive played twice.)

I underestimated the weather in the Smokies. As the snow melted, we climbed and slid down dangerous mountains covered in mud. And then we were pelted with hail.



I underestimated the toll the trail would take on my shoes. Fortunately, a new friend of mine managed to pull out a needle and some dental floss and fixed my shoe's busted heel. MacGyver couldnt have done any better.



But most of all, I underestimated how much fun Id be having out here. Ive managed to fall in with a group of people who are every bit as weird as I am. When we couldnt find a place to stay in Hot Springs, NC last night, we bought a case of Pabst Blue Ribbon and a pack of hot dogs and decided that it was time to become hobos for a night. Under a filthy bridge, we carved skewers out of wood and cooked hot dogs over an open fire and passed out listening to old Woody Guthrie songs. It. Was. Awesome.



Im still not sure if Im going to make it to Maine, but screw it. Right now, Im having too much fun to care.


(Those are my feet.)

1 comment: